1940′s — Before there was a Lions Gate Bridge across the first narrows there was the West Vancouver Ferry Company which took passengers from the foot of Columbia Street in Vancouver to Ambleside pier in West Vancouver. The ferries were gradually replaced by buses when the bridge was completed in 1938 with the last scheduled sailing being the No.6 ferry on midnight, February 8, 1947. Every once in a while someone tries to revive the downtown to Ambleside ferry. The last attempt began last October and ended a few days ago when the service was abruptly stopped probably for lack of passengers. The photograph above was taken by Billy Denniston sometime in the 1940′s and shows West Vancouver No.6 arriving at Ambleside pier.